Sunday, October 31, 2021

Inching Along

 



Down to the last two scarves, thinking about the next warp, picking up the various 'pieces', turning them over, looking at them from different angles.  Trying to decide.

So, the yarn I was planning on using was not, after all, 2/20 or even 2/30 silk, but...2/60.  I quickly re-calculated the epi to accommodate the different size, factoring in the weft I was going to use and then developed a threading that wasn't exceptional, pretty plain, really.  But it would do for a first warp.  Because it was clear there was enough of this yarn for at least two warps (about 20 or so yards long).

But a friend is also making scarves and we had been bouncing ideas off each other and over the past few days while I worked on fringe twisting and getting ready for the upcoming sales, I thought about the silk/cashmere I was planning on working with.  And found myself dreading fringe twisting 2/60 silk.

Sigh.

I mean, I could do it.  But I donwanna.

I also donwanna do on loom hem stitching.  

The alternative was woven hems.  The more I fringe twist these 2/20 silk scarves, the more I'm leaning into doing hems on the silk/cashmere.

Now I need to figure out what weave structure.  Because the draft I came up with doesn't do a true plain weave.  It will be back to the drawing board (software) to generate some treadlings, some variations, see what seems the best approach.  Right now I'm thinking a 2:2 tie up and a straight treadling, but until I see it on the screen, I'm just not sure.  I may also need to dig in my stash to fine a heavier silk to use for the hem.  Or just use the cashmere.  Not sure right now.  Could go either way.

In the meantime, I continue to pick away at the fringe twisting.  My new press should be here on Friday so there is some expectation that I might be able to deliver some to the guild craft fair booth.  OTOH, I can wait until I see it more or less set up on Thursday - see if there is room for some silk scarves.  Or just wait until the sale in the guild room.

But never mind.  Progress has been made.  And will continue to be made.  Even if it is just one inch at a time.

Currently reading A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs

No comments: