Saturday, October 30, 2021

Slow and Steady

 


I have made slow but steady progress on the fringe twisting pile.  I think there are five scarves left to be done, which still seems like a lot, but one bite at a time.

While I know lots of people love their battery operated twisters, or do it by hand, I have issues for which neither of those is a good option.  So yes, I know about the battery operated twisters, and no, I won't be spending money on one.  My preference.

But that's the thing about weaving.  There is almost always more than one way to do anything related to getting a textile created.

Some people call me an 'expert' and I will accept that (now) for certain levels of 'expertise'.  But what I am most expert about is how to do things for me.

That said, if someone likes my results, they might like to take a close look at what I do, just in case what I do resonates with them.

What I can say is that from the feedback I've had from people, a lot of what I do does resonate with other people, and yes, some of them have further tweaked how I do something to better serve their own needs.

And all of that is completely valid.

Someone recently asked me who my mentors were.  I had to stop and think, not because I didn't know who they were, but because there were so many.  Pulling the memories of my interaction with those people was a lovely meander down memory lane and I very much enjoyed sharing with the person who I had learned from.  Sometimes those lessons had nothing at all to do with creating a textile, except that the lesson was so applicable to living, it turned out to be a most valuable lesson in how to proceed through my life as well as weaving.

So I listed the people who had an ongoing influence in my life, not just a seminar or a two day workshop (although there were a couple people whose off hand comment proved to pave the way to enlightenment).  In the end I said that the entire weaving community had, in it's way, nurtured and mentored me.  

Now that my body is insisting that I 'slow down, dammit' I have been having lots of time to think about what lies ahead for me.  No conclusions yet, but hopefully the upcoming on line classes will prove to be helpful to others.  And allow me to encourage and support new weavers for some time to come.

Slow and steady.  Works in so many ways in life.

No comments: