Saturday, October 23, 2021

School of Sweet Georgia

 


Felicia Lo of  Sweet Georgia  has done a bunch of podcasts including this one from 2018 (I think).  If anyone is looking for a podcast to listen to, there are now 70+ to choose from.  She also does a vlog where she talks about her own personal journey in textiles, available on You Tube.

I noticed that the website now has my classes listed on their 'road map', The Intentional Weaver to launch in January, Magic in the Water in February.

With internet supports like Zoom, I can spend some time with students, answer questions, give feedback, give fuller explanations.  Because everything about weaving 'depends' - on your loom, your physical build (short? tall?) your physical limitations (eye sight?  manual dexterity?) your equipment (which loom?  Is it the 'right' loom for you given the previous...)

Since the pandemic seems to be in no hurry to depart, we have to embrace what IS possible, not mourn what isn't.  So while in person learning may be the 'best', on line might have to do - for a while.

My original DVDs with Handwoven are still available through them but these two new classes come with follow up contact with me - if that is of interest.  If not, I stand by the DVDs now streaming workshops on the Long Thread/Handwoven web site.

One of the advantages of the move to internet learning is the accessibility.  SOS (School of Sweet Georgia) is working hard to make the classes as easy to use as possible.  Closed captions can be activated, the classes are broken into shorter sequences and clicking on the 'chapter' headings will take you directly to the segment you want to watch without having to scroll through content to get there.

Personally I'm getting more comfortable doing Zoom presentations.  I still have no interest in teaching techniques per se, but conveying principles.  I will do that tomorrow for the Ontario Handweaver's guild conference where I'll talk about ergonomics/efficiency.  

I have recently been contacted by several guilds to do programs, and so long as I can talk principles, I have been taking bookings.  

My guild programs run about 60-90 minutes (because I have So Much to Say!) and right now I'm charging a fairly low fee of $250.  If anyone is interested in hearing from me about weaving things, I have 11 topics, most of them can stand alone, a couple are essentially two parts of one aspect of weaving.

The following list of titles sets out what I feel is important for weavers to know about and understand:

A Good Yarn; fibre characteristics

The Efficient Weaver: considering how to reduce fatigue and improve performance

Weaver's Toolbox: a look at equipment weavers use

Goldilocks Zone: good tension, bad tension

The Full Spectrum:  a look at the variables and why nearly every answer to a weaving question begins "it depends"

Form Follow Function: a place to start when designing - what function is your cloth to perform?

Colour Considerations: basic colour hints/tips

Decoding the Code: weaving drafts including profile drafts and 4 shaft twill variations

Looking at Twills: 4, 8 and beyond

Looking at Lace: Huck, Swedish and Bronson Lace

Wet Finishing: it isn't finished until it's wet finished

Contact me at laura@laurafry.com

No comments: