Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Marketing

 


Proto-book.

There comes a time when the words stop being generated and the polishing begins.  There comes a time when the pages in a binder begin to take shape in the form of a 'real' book.  There comes a time when someone who is self-publishing needs to take off the 'author' hat and don the 'marketing' hat.

That time is now.

While the manuscript is being polished by the editor, *I* have to begin thinking about the part that I - an introvert - like the least:  marketing.

What is marketing?

Advertising is when you buy ads in media.  Marketing is 'sharing' information.  Since I can't afford to buy ads in media, welp, I'll be doing some 'sharing' - soon.  I will be hoping beyond hope that people who like my effort will share the word with their friends.  Word of Mouth.  It's real.  And it's invaluable for someone like me.

It's one reason why I like and share so many of my colleagues posts on Facebook.  They, too, are marketing.  Their workshops.  Their classes.  Their publications.  I know that every like/share will go into Facebook's algorithms which will give them a little extra 'boost'.  It's like the prayer wheels in the Himalayan mountains - every person passing a prayer wheel gives it a little spin, and more prayers go out to the gods.  It's community support of the best kind.

And priceless to people like me, working mostly by themselves, doing all the jobs, wearing all the hats.  Except the ones we know are best done by someone else, like the final edit/polish.

Since publishing Magic and TIW, we now have Zoom.  So I'm planning on a Zoom 'book launch'.

Anyone want to come to my 'party'?

Stay tuned for details.  So far, July 9, noon Pacific time zone.  Watch here and on Facebook for invite link.  I just don't want to jump the gun too soon to make sure we can make that deadline.

No comments: