Monday, May 8, 2023

Win Some, Lose Some

 


Turns out version 2 didn't weave up nicely.  Which is why you can't just go based on the drawdown, you have to actually weave the cloth to see if it is going to work.

Abandoning that line of approach entirely, I replaced the tie up with a 'traditional' twill combo, changing nothing else, and started weaving again.

This time it is working well enough I will continue with this set up.

The half tone effect is giving a blurry look to the diamonds, which is fine.  Sometimes it is nice to have something less 'hard' edged.  

I expect the quality of the cloth to change.  The interlacements are likely higher with this tie up, although I haven't done an actual count.  However, it isn't just the number of interlacements but the way they interact that will affect the drape of the cloth, so until this is wet finished it may - or may not - have the same handle as the ones I've been making so far.

Last night I pawed through my reducing stash (finally!  I can see the heap is smaller!) and I think there is enough of this red to do 6 or 7 of this design, then I think there is enough of a very dark, almost black, navy that might finish the warp off.  To Be Determined.  But weaving down two more colours will feel like an accomplishment, and will likely allow me to condense the boxes from 4 to 3.  Right now I'm keeping the almost black navy separate from the navy blue because they are so close they are hard to tell apart.  Until you weave them next to each other.  And then they look very different.  (Ask me how I know.)

But I am finally to the point where I am beginning to see the end of the 2/20 mercerized cotton.  Not this month, but this year.  Hopefully before the end of the year, but mostly I am just trying to get to the loom every day - if I can - and not thinking too much about what comes next.  

I have reached the stage of life where I just donwanna do a lot of things.  I suppose it is a form of patience?  Or maybe it is just acceptance, which might be the same thing, all in all.

As the northern hemisphere moves into summer, I am hoping everyone can stay safe from the worsening effects of climate change.  Right now our neighbouring province is dealing with about 100 wildfires, about 1/3 of them not controlled.  We are also seeing more wildfires here.  Stay safe everyone.


No comments: