Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Waves


 

The weekend was busy with the last day of class Saturday, then assisting the students on Sunday.  I had cut the warp off the loom Friday, then beamed the next one and threaded a few inches, but I didn't have much energy over the weekend.  Sunday morning I did get a bit of threading done, but didn't get it finished until Monday.  By the end of the day, it was tied up and ready to go.

However, on Monday I got the files back and it was my turn to tackle editing again.  

This morning dawned dark and dreary with a steady rain falling.  It mostly continued all day but it was a very dark day and staying glued to the desktop with a detour to the loom to get the first towel woven before heading back to the edits seemed like A Good Thing to be doing.

In the end I managed the edits, except for some clean up of commas, but I'd run out of steam and before I started wrangling more commas, I told my editor I was going to send the file back to her (after I make a copy, because copies are A Good Thing) and I'll deal with the comma situation once she's incorporated the word edits from today.

It's nit picking, checking each comma to see if it is necessary (imho) and if I want to keep it or get rid of it.  And every comma needs to be considered because I'm sure some of them are necessary and I want to aim for clarity.

While my editor does the next step, I will work on the bibliography and I can work from my copy of the ms to start recording key words for an Index.  I had intended to do that on the read through today but I needed all of my little grey cells to stay on track with getting the words corralled.   My ducks in a row.  My butterflies to fly in formation.  

The first towel seemed to go smoothly and I'm pleased with it.  I have a bazillion (not really, just feels like it) tubes of this mid-range value blue so I'm trying to empty the ones that only have some yarn on them, not the nearly full ones.  So far it looks like the dozen or so smallest tubes have enough yarn for one towel each.  So I should be able to empty all of those, then perhaps a few of the fuller ones.  And that should make a good dent in that colour.  I have three more drafts ready to go, so I've got lots of chances to use up more of the 2/20 mercerized cotton.  

Little by little, things are getting done.

1 comment:

RuTemple said...

Excellent! Hearken back to good olde Strunk & White and "omit needless commas" while keeping the needful ones; it's a good practice for an editing session, since early drafts are for getting thoughts on paper, and commas often come along as vocal inflection and breathing points that can be combed out as tangles, later.