Sunday, May 14, 2023

Wording is Hard

 


Wove this scarf a while ago - it says 'create joy'.  Yes, the letters are woven in.

This morning someone commented on a sentence they were reading that pertained to making yarn and wondered if the description they read was accurate or if there was a nuance the description was missing.

And I remembered again that wording is hard.

It was part of the struggle I went through trying to write my first two books, and what I am currently going through with this book of essays.  For every article I submitted for publication, the technical editors generally found grey areas that needed fixing.  And I thanked them for their service.

With so many it dependses and nuances in terms of bringing loose fibre into woven textile, have I been clear enough so that people can understand?  Or could I have done better?

Well, the short answer is, it depends.

It will depend on how much brain fog I had when I was trying to string the words together.  It will depend on the reader - if they can grasp the point I was trying to make.  If they are willing to accept that there are so many factors that the results hinge upon.  It will depend on how accurately I have observed what is happening and if I've chosen good metaphors or just plain descriptors to explain what I have seen happening in the weaving of the cloth.  It will depend if I've drawn correct conclusions.

Once the words have been published, they are there for anyone to see/read and comment on.  Agree with, or not.

Will I succeed or fail in getting across the complexity of the subject?

Personally I've struggled with knowing that not everyone will agree or even understand what I am trying to get across.  Because someone, somewhere is bound to take exception and will let me know in no uncertain terms that I'm *wrong*.  And I may well be!  Because it depends!

I have had to accept that this will happen and do what I feel needs to be done, anyway.

Most of all, I have to accept that I don't know everything, and sometimes I need to learn more my own self.  

But that was part of why I chose weaving to be my career - I wanted to do something with my life where I would continue to learn for the rest of my life.

Weaving has been all of that - and so much more.

I have had fantastic people come into my life because of weaving.  I was young, 25 when I made that choice, so most weavers of the day were older than me.  They took me under their wing(s), encouraged me, questioned me, pointed me in the direction of resources.  They celebrated with me when I had successes.  Some lent me equipment, gave me rides to conferences, gave gentle feedback, held me to account in terms of the decisions I was making.

On this Mother's Day, I can do no better than to remember all those people (most of them female, but not all) who 'mothered' me.

With grateful thanks to the weaving community which has become my 'family'.  Wording is hard, but I can say a heartfelt thank you to all who have encouraged, supported and cheered me and others on.

PS - I have decided I will order in a few of the new books and sign them for anyone interested.  I know this is a huge ask, but if you are interested in a signed copy of Stories from the Matrix, email me

laura at laurafry dot com

I will put your name on the list and you will get an email once I know the price and shipping.  No obligation.


No comments: