Monday, July 30, 2012

Steaming Ahead


A good example of how changing the value of the weft will radically change how a warp will look


Warp for office curtains and tea towels beamed on Sunday - the colours look more green on my monitor than in real life - they are actually beige and a blue/grey


Threaded!

Lots of creative energy going on in the studio today.  My student arrived at 9 am and jumped right into weaving on the blue/grey warp I'd set up on the Leclerc Fanny.  It didn't take too long before she felt more or less comfortable at the loom - she was challenging a lot of muscle memory - and began on her towel.

In between observing (and nagging!) her I threaded the warp on the AVL.  It is a fairly complex 'fancy' twill so I thread in groups of 6, 7, or 8 depending on the sequence, tie each group into a slip knot and then tie each repeat into another bigger slip knot.  This helps me keep track of where I am in the threading sequence.  (total of 800 ends)

Tomorrow I'll sley and tie on and maybe even weave my 'sample'.  The weft for the curtains will be a very fine soy protein fibre so no doubt I'll have to check for picks per inch and tie up to make sure the cloth is turning out for curtains.

Currently reading Betrayal of Trust by J. A. Jance

No comments: