Friday, October 28, 2022

Better Late Than...

 


This afternoon I finally cut off the warp of rayon chenille scarves.  There were 9 in total, as expected.  Truth be told I could have woven one more, but it would have been very short, and I just wanted this warp to be done.

Last week got very 'busy', starting with getting both flu and covid vaccines on Monday, then chiropractor, massage and hair cut on the following days.  

My response to the vaccines were minimal, but I did feel achy so wasn't much in the mood to weave until Thursday afternoon.  Doing one scarf yesterday and one today meant less stress to my body, and really, I could still get it off today.  

So all 9 scarves are now in the washing machine and will go into the dryer.  I expect I can begin hemming tonight, although the hems are black so I may not feel like doing them all tonight.

One of the big differences between now and before 'retirement' is how much less pressure I am under.  Being able to listen to my body and give it the rest it needs is a luxury I was never allowed when so much of my yearly income depended on doing well in a 6 week window of sales.

I still have a few tea towels listed on my ko-fi store but if I start running low in the guild booth, they will get pulled from there and delivered to the guild for sale on consignment.

Today I worked on the upcoming beginning weaving workshop.  We should have information on that soon.  I can share that it will be four Saturdays, plus I'll be available to supervise and assist on the Sundays during guild drop ins.  Who knows, maybe I'll finally drag my spinning wheel out.  Because I'm going to sign up for a one day spinning workshop in April.  I need to get back into practice so I don't make a complete doofus of myself.  :D

Next on the loom?  More tea towels.  I'm very interested to find out how the unmerc and merc yarns will play together (unmerc as warp, merc as weft).  Given my previous experimentations, I think it should play nicely as tea towels.  And I already have two warps designed - just needed the time and the empty loom before I could plunge in.

But I will remember what I did for this warp because I only used up about 3.5 pounds of rayon chenille.  I had been thinking I had about 50 pounds but based on what I actually used, I suspect the number is more like double that!  So I supposed there will be more rayon chenille scarves coming down the pipeline at some point.  For now though, these 9 will give customers more choice and show up better than just the 5 that were left after last season's sales.

Little by little.  And better 'late' than not at all...

No comments: