Thursday, October 13, 2022

Going With The Flow

 


I'm usually pretty hard to knock off the rails - or used to be.  Lately?  Not so much.

Aging and injury have taken a toll and pain/pain killers create brain fog which pretty much wipes out executive functioning ability, so I've been riding the roller coaster of being more - or less - functional for a few years now.

It's been a bitter pill to swallow, frankly.

But I'm also a Cancer (if you believe in any of that) and therefore a 'water' sign.  So the way I deal with obstacles in my way is to try to find a way around, over, or under them.  Even water will wear away stone.  Eventually.

I had hoped to hit the ground running when we got home, but it was more of a stagger.  And of course, Life has a way of Happening even when you have plans.

So this week has not been as productive in the studio as I had hoped, but things needed to get done outside of the studio and I have been chipping away at those.

One of the realities of being 'retired' is that I don't have as many pressing deadlines for my studio work, so if I don't get two towels woven in a day, it's not actually that big a deal.  Or so I keep reminding myself.

But weaving isn't just about making money, it's about health.  My physical health and my mental health.  I go to the loom, find my centre, find my zone, and weave for 45-60 minutes to regain my focus by emptying my mind of whatever is currently bothering me.  And it works, so the incentive to keep getting to the loom is definitely high.

Today wound up being a day of appointments.  I had booked two before I left (massage and chiropractor) but found myself concerned about something else, phoned the doctor on Tuesday and they squeezed me in for late today.  All of which means I'm not going to be weaving much.

Instead I have a rayon chenille scarf warp that I wound before I left, then rough sleyed on Monday, so I'm going to beam that and who knows, maybe start threading in the between appointment times.

The down side of seeing the eye doctor is that she is usually running late by then so I've been warned it will likely be two hours of sitting in the waiting room.  The up side of sitting in the waiting room for two hours is that I will have two whole hours of reading time.  

There is always a silver lining, even if you have to dig really deep inside that cloud.

And as for weaving?  I have no appointments for tomorrow, so the goal will be to get back to the loom.  And keep on keeping on with the stash reduction.


No comments: