Sunday, October 9, 2022

Not Accurate

 


The colours in the photo aren't exactly accurate but as close as I could come given the very pale blue/grey of the background.  The lavender/lilac is actually pretty close.

This warp is 2/8 cotton at 20 epi with a 'fancy' twill weave.  The reason I opened the density was to accommodate the linen yarn I'm trying to use up.  This warp should use the remaining linen of this size, and perhaps some other dribs and drabs of yarns.

The last warp was the same combo, and I'm pleased enough with the results after wet finishing, so I'm confident that I will be happy enough with these.

The yarn for the next warp(s) arrived while we were away so I'm feeling the pressure to get this warp off the loom.  At the rate of two per day, that will be around 10 days from now.  However, it takes a lot less time to weave one of these than the finer yarns so we'll see if I feel able to do 3 per day.  

The next series of warps will be 2/16 cotton warp at 36 epi with 2/20 merc. cotton for weft.  I knew I had a lot of the 2/20 - then last night I 'found' another 3+ pounds of bleached white.  Sigh.  I'm going to be weaving tea towels for a very long time!!!!

The jab did provide some help with the pain and I'm off the dilaudid, but still experiencing the effects of the trapped spinal nerve - muscle weakness, pain.  Weaving doesn't seem to make it 'worse', so I will continue to weave as much as I feel able.

I have work to do for the documentation for the classes, but I'm giving myself some time to recover from the trip before I put my thinking cap on.  I promised to design a couple of projects for the lace weave class but my thoughts on what to do may take some simmering on the back burner.  Right now I'm considering 2/10 merc cotton, in part because SOS carries a line of that yarn and I have some on hand so won't need to order yet more yarn in.  I may buy some of the Sweet Georgia yarn once I've come up with the technical details, just so I can use yarns in the colourway they carry, so that new weavers can just buy the yarn and do the project as is, if they wish.  

Another weave structure I've been thinking about, just because I have too little to do(?) is waffle weave.  It's a fun weave structure, not well understood by people and given my 'fancy' twills and tendency to weave them in various ways, I sometimes get areas of small waffles in addition to huck lace in my cloth which is actually beneficial in a tea towel.  It's been fun watching the waffle areas develop.  :)  But I tend to weave with 16 shafts, and if I'm going to do something for four shafts, I need to put my thinking cap on.

The thing with waffle is that there can be enormous dimensional loss once the web is wet finished and if people don't know that is going to happen they wind up with a much smaller finished textile than they were expecting.  For them it may be an unpleasant 'surprise'.  So it might be useful if I were to design something, document it, and make people aware of the the degree of 'shrinkage' so they are forewarned.

Anyway, apparently my brain thinks my body is still capable so I will continue to weave for as long as I can.  Still have way too much stash that needs using up.



5 comments:

Juli S said...

I would love to learn about the shrinkage issue of waffle weave. Guess I could just do some sampling and keep records!

Anonymous said...

Did one waffle weave warp. The hems were a nightmare. Draft implied weave in pattern. Was concerned that if i tried plain weave hems shrinkage would be different. Waffle weave hem w finer yarn? Also differential shrinkage. What do you generally do? Tnx!

Anonymous said...

Sorry that wasnt anon. Im Laurie.

Laura Fry said...

Yes, shrinkage differential is an issue with waffle and plain weave in the same textile.

If I feel up to it, I'll try to do a post. Or see if there is a tag in the topic bar for 'waffle' as a subject. I may have already covered it?

Laura Fry said...

https://laurasloom.blogspot.com/search/label/waffle%20weave

Here you go - six posts on waffle weave...