Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Interlude

 


On Monday I got my flu AND covid shots.  Not sure how I would feel the next day I planned on doing nothing for the rest of Monday and all day Tuesday.  And that was what I did.

I had very little response - sore arms and a headache (which may or may not have been related) and today the soreness is mostly gone so I hope to get to the loom today.

I *think* there is enough for two more scarves, but not likely more and if I can get myself going there is a possibility that I can finish the current warp today.

And if I can't?  There is always tomorrow.

One of the benefits of being 'retired' (from doing craft fairs) is that it isn't nearly as important that I have a great deal of inventory to offer for sale.  One of the benefits of belonging to the local guild is that they have a booth at the big craft fair and will sell members' textiles on consignment.  We have a bigger booth this year (in part because we are in a larger venue and there is more space) so my inventory doesn't overwhelm the booth.  We bring my booth structure as well which the people setting up the booth can use as they see appropriate.

Normally by now I'd be scrambling, trying to get more, more, more done, but I don't need to do that anymore.  I have worked steadily all year and have a decent amount of inventory, enough that if things start to diminish,  Doug can deliver more during the sale.

Plus the guild has other sales opportunities following the big craft fair.

I'm pretty sure I can finish weaving the scarves on the loom today or tomorrow, wet finish them, then hem them, and have them ready to be delivered to the venue in a week.  Hemming takes a lot less time than fringe twisting, and will make a 'better' finish on these scarves than fringe twisting, anyway (imho).

For 40 years, I knew that I *had* to have a large enough inventory for the Xmas sale season to get me through to the spring.  Running a business costs money, money which sometimes needs to be spent months before the income begins again.  Now, my needs are modest.  I still pay for insurance for my studio, try to cover the costs of any weaving/teaching travel, pay for shipping things (sales via my ko-fi shop, etc) purchase books, magazines, etc.  And of course any yarn I might need.  Even trying to weave from my stash means that sometimes I have to buy more yarn to use up what I have.  (I know, I know!)

But mostly?  I weave because I still love it.  Weaving provides me with aerobic exercise (if your heart rate increases and you break a sweat, you are, actually, doing aerobic activity!).  Weaving continues to provide me with mental stimulation as I work out new designs and qualities of cloth.  Teaching weaving keeps me on my toes as I think things through to answer questions.  Craft written responses to online groups.  Take photos to illustrate what I mean.  And provide me with some 'meditation' time - a time where I stop thinking about the world and all the problems we are currently dealing with.  

When we listen/watch the 'news' at the end of the day I realize just how broken we are in so many ways.  At times I despair at how self-centered and yes, selfish, our species can be.   And then I see acts of bravery and compassion and my faith in humanity is restored.

And if this is the collapse of current society?  We will need weavers (and spinners and shepherds) in order to clothe people.  So I will continue to try to teach weaving for as long as I can, even if that means from time to time I need to take a few days to re-charge and find the fire to light my candle again.

No comments: