Friday, October 14, 2022

Ergonomics




" Keep in mind, however, that frequent repetitive bending or twisting beyond what is comfortable can lead to discomfort, which in turn interferes with weaving"

The photo is of me, showing how I hold the shuttle to 'throw' it.  The quote is pulled from the latest Handwoven which is running an article on ergonomics.

Twisting or torqueing the body leads to fatigue and can bring on pain.  The authors talk about good posture and proper bench height as well, taking micro and mini breaks and so on.

All things I have been advocating for, so I'm pleased to see them presented within the pages of Handwoven.  I'd also like to remind people that I cover a lot of these things in the class that Handwoven (Long Threads Media) offers as an on line course.

If you are interested in more interaction with me, I'm currently presenting this and much more via the School of Sweet Georgia.  

My goal has always been to help people prevent pain and injury.  It is a lot easier to prevent injury than it is to recover from it.

Pay attention to your body.  If you are experiencing discomfort, fatigue or pain, immediately stop what you are doing.  Stretch.  Rest.  Do something that requires a different position or posture or different muscles.

Weaving is a physical activity.  When I get into my zone, my Fitbit thinks I am swimming (guess they don't know about weaving!) and records that as aerobic activity - because it is!

I try to get to the loom for at least 90 minutes every day (broken up into two sessions).  If I'm away from the loom for lengthy periods, I begin to miss it and look forward to getting home and being able to weave again.  Because for me, weaving isn't just physical activity, it is also good for my mental health.  I shut out the cares and woes of the world and just be for a while. I come back refreshed mentally, able to deal with the vicissitudes of life more easily.

Weaving can be good for the entire body - if it is done ergonomically.  

As always, if you have questions, you can email me.  Or sign up for my class on SOS and ask in the forums.  If you have the question, no doubt others may have as well.

Weaving is a community in so many ways.  I am privileged to be part of it and very happy to help people if they are having difficulties, if I can.

2 comments:

Doreen MacL said...

Hi Laura- I am pleased to see that your Fitbit thinks you are swimming. I have some health issues that are making it more difficult for me to be physically active but if weaving counts, that’s a bonus! I’ll be sure to give my Baby Wolf a workout as often as possible.

Laura Fry said...

If your heart rate rises and you break a sweat, you are working aerobically. :D