Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Figuring Things Out

 


the draft is not shown in its entirety - the left hand border didn't make it onto the screen

Since I've begun weaving the warp I beamed last week, it is, of course, time to think about the 'next' one.

I had a draft prepared but as I thought through my yarn and colour choices, I decided I wanted to weave off the red on a white warp, not on the dark blue I ordered in (for when I run out of white), then decided I didn't really want to weave that colour combination on the draft that was next in the queue.

What to do?

Generate a new one, of course!

It isn't 'perfect' - I could have fiddled with it some more, especially given that the weave structure at this density will - perhaps - elongate the motif a little bit more.  But I decided to go with it.

I could have done a couple of things, but the one I might have done if I had had the spoons, would have been to adjust the threading in the little upright 'petal' so that it became a little bit wider.  A little bit 'rounder', more in keeping with the horizontal 'petal'.  Who knows I may do that for another iteration.  Or not.

That would have meant adjusting the vertical 'stripes' to be narrower, and I kind of like the ratio of the two different elements.

And even if it isn't 'perfect' they will still dry dishes.

My week isn't going 'well' for me.  I'm not sleeping well, which means I sleep in, feel groggy, don't get my engine started and then don't get half of what I want done, done.

The days flip by and the thing I ought to be doing (re-doing the workshop handouts) sits on the floor, ignored.

OTOH, I did some major work on the 'new' writing project.  I'm going to set it aside for a while so that when I go back to it, it will be with 'fresh' eyes.  It's not a 'book' - yet.  I don't even know if anyone would be interested in it.  Right now it is still a 'pipe' dream, although it appears to be taking on some sort of shape that might be a book.  Or not.

Once again I was up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours (don't know why, old age? pain?) and Doug kindly let me sleep in.  But it means the morning has disappeared.  Time to get dressed, see if I can weave a towel, then head to the post office with the next bin of books to be mailed.

In the meantime, the smoke is somewhat less (we had a bit of rain last night), the smoke is less, and the heat is less.  It's grey and dreary, but I'll take that for the benefit of the others.






No comments: