Monday, July 10, 2023

Splash

 


 I was up early enough this morning that I got to see the splash of light coming through the fan light.  

Yesterday was the official launch day for Stories from the Matrix.  I was nervous about doing it.  Didn't know if anyone would attend.  If they did, would they find the two essays I read of interest?

The response was positive, and I feel like I can climb down off the tenterhooks, and just do the work of getting the books shipped out when they arrive.  The sample book will arrive soon, possibly tomorrow as it crossed the border yesterday.

OTOH, after a string of t-storms over the weekend we have smoke pall.  Again.  There are fires all around us, but not near enough to us to be of concern - other than the smoke.  That may change, of course.  In the meantime my covid mask is also filtering out the smoke.  As much as it can, of course.  I don't wear a respirator, just a mask rated to N95.  But since I rarely leave the house I don't fret too much about either hazard.  

Someone urged me to go to the pool and do aquasize.  I pointed out I can't wear a mask in the pool and that I knew two people just in the past week who came down with covid.  I pointed out that it's not over.  Not for me, certainly, but also?  It's just NOT over.  We have, as a society, simply given up.  

Given the rather negative effects of Long Covid, that every Covid infection increases the risk of developing Long Covid, there are thousands of people who are about to discover (if they haven't already) what living with a chronic health condition feels like.  

I read a report that the current variant of Covid is not easily detected by the rapid test and that a person can HAVE Covid and test negative repeatedly with rapid tests.  I suspect that there are a lot of people walking around with summer 'colds' who are spreading Covid.  So, no, I'm not going out without a mask for the foreseeable future.  I don't want your 'summer cold' either.  

In October I will be doing the 'last' in person workshop here in Prince George.  I will request the students wear masks because I am *still* immune compromised.  Catching Covid is not a 'nothing burger' for me.  So I will continue to get any vaccines for Covid on offer and wear a mask.  I am getting exasperated with health care folk who don't understand *why* I continue to wear a mask.  Willful ignorance is very frustrating.  But De Nial is a powerful drug and far too many folk are swimming in it to the cost of people like me.

For those people who wonder why some of their friends just don't want to 'socialize' anymore, find out if they hesitate because of the risk of Covid and maybe offer to meet outside and offer to wear a mask.  If you value them in your life, maybe be a little bit 'uncomfortable' for a couple of hours in order to have them be present?

I am fortunate in that I have several local friends who DO mask up for me.  And I have lots of contact on line.  I'm not exactly a 'hermit', even though I've been called 'paranoid' and folk worry about my 'mental health'.  I'd have a lot less anxiety if more people would mask.  Just saying.  

Anyway, I'm going to get to the loom today.  I worked on the next two weaving drafts so I'd like to get the current warp off the loom and the next one on.  The heap of 2/20 mercerized cotton continues to slowly shrink, but I need to keep going to the loom. 

Onwards.





No comments: