Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Learning Never Ends

 


July is ending and so have a number of 'projects'.

Stories from the Matrix launched on July 9 as scheduled.  It took a magnificent last days effort from my editor to get the file uploaded to blurb.com but it happened.  And then *I* fell down and didn't order the envelopes that I needed soon enough; then we hit a glitch in Staples website and the envelope order was delayed a week.  But never mind, they arrived and all of the pre-publication orders have been mailed.  Several people have let me know they are beginning to arrive.  

The Lace Weaves class with School of Sweet Georgia launched.  Similar delays with that as they hit some technology issues as well.  (So glad it isn't just me!!!)  But it is now live and last I looked 80 people were viewing the class.  (cockles of heart warmed!)

The content on SOS grows monthly.  I now have 3 classes live with one more to come in November.  But it isn't just me and it isn't just weaving.  SOS has an array of classes from rigid heddle to floor loom weaving, spinning, dyeing, felting, the list goes on.  Really excellent instructors are included like Diana Twiss and Kim McKenna (spinning) and knitters, felters etc.  They are working hard to expand their course offerings and really, the monthly (or yearly) subscription is a bit of a bargain because you not only get the class, you can ask the instructor questions via the Forums.  Or connect with other textile people, celebrate your triumphs (or disasters - and you know we all have *those*!)  

Better yet, you continue to have access to the courses so that you can review them if you forget something.   The courses are formatted as chapters so you can go directly to the section you need to review.  Pretty neat.  They also have extensive supports with class handouts, projects, etc.

Not everyone has a local guild they can access and if you don't, SOS is a good way to continue the learning journey.

You can subscribe here  or use the QR code (live link on the main page of my blog).

Personally?  I have managed to keep weaving (mostly) and have my 2/20 mercerized cotton reduced to such an extent that I am hopeful of getting it all used up (or donated, if there isn't enough of a colour to weave a towel) by the end of the year.  Maybe.  We'll see.  But that really is a light I see, not the headlight of a train coming through the tunnel...

Weaving has been interrupted too frequently of late but now that the major projects are complete I'm hoping I can get back at it.  OTOH, I *did* promise to teach one last in-person workshop for my local guild so now I need to drag that binder out and start re-doing the drafts.  Problem is, I donwanna.  :(

So...I procrastinate.  Not helpful!  Time to get over that reluctance and just do it.  You don't have to be a member of the guild to take the class, just in case you want to join us for my last in-person workshop (the guild has some looms to rent or a table loom is fine.)  Registration is open now.  (Masks will be required because I'm immune compromised.  Just saying.)

OTOH, I had a lovely compliment yesterday.  I sent a courtesy copy of Stories and a tea towel to someone who weaves different qualities of cloth than what I enjoy doing and they immediately took a photo of the towel and sent it to *their* mentor - an extremely knowledgeable weaver who has worked in the textile industry for decades.  His immediate reaction, I was told, was to go grab some graph paper and see if he could work out how I wove it because it was 'different' and intrigued him.  :D  It was such an ego stroke to think that I had caused intrigue and interest in someone who most likely knows way more than I ever will about textiles.  

With that bit of positive feedback, I went back and did the tweak to my most recent draft using that technique and polished the draft so that I was more satisfied with it.  Seems the 'fix' was pretty simple and it didn't take long.  And while I would have been satisfied with the not-quite-right version, I'm happy I went back and took another swipe at it.  

The difference is slight, but sometimes that's all it takes.


Now, all I have to do is weave off the current warp, dress the loom and get this one underway.

Easy-peasy, right?

No comments: