Friday, July 7, 2023

Unintended

 


When I saw what I had done on this warp I had to decide - do I re-thread it or leave it be?

I left out a section of the threading very near the beginning, in spite of all my checks.  When you have brain fog, sometimes you lose your way.  So the design is NOT symmetrical as intended, but...unbalanced.

I had to think long and hard about taking nearly the entire warp out of the reed and heddles and begin again.

OTOH, there was nothing 'wrong' with the cloth.  No floats or skips.  Nothing to impede the cloth from doing what it was intended to be doing - drying dishes.

It just wasn't what I had intended.  It was 'wrong'.  Not symmetrical.  I had made a mistake.

With a sick feeling in my stomach I decided to go ahead and weave them anyway, flaw and all.

One of the ways to cover or disguise the threading error is to use the same hue/value as weft.  This makes the design very subtle and harder to see the error.  Plus getting a photo of white on white is hard, you'll have to look closely to see it.  Once you know it's there, though, you know it's there.

OTOOH, it's just asymmetrical, which may not be to everyone's taste, but might be fine for others.

So, I carry on.  The first 6 will be given to someone who adores the colour purple, where the mistake is very noticeable.  I doubt she will care because 'purple'!  And that yarn is now used up.  So far I have 3 of the cream on cream and will use up the rest of that colour.  Whatever warp is left will be woven with sage, I think, or maybe I'll use up the bits of grey.  I will decide when I get there.

Over the past couple of days I have decided to buy in one more lot of 2/16 cotton in order to continue using up the mercerized cotton, plus the large cone of 20/2 unmercerized teal I still have in my stash.  I'm going to order the yarn soon because Brassard usually goes on summer holiday in August and I don't want to run out of yarn!  (Which I won't, but comforting to know there is some on hand when I need it!)

And yesterday I made an executive decision and ordered copies of Stories from the Matrix in the higher quality paper.  After all the time and effort that has gone into it, plus all the colour photos, I decided that the lower quality paper really wasn't going to be the best approach.  So, as soon as the books arrive I will be contacting people on the pre-pub offer list and arrange for payment and ship them out.

For now I am going to enjoy a week of less pressure (sort of) and try to pick away at the current warp so I can try once again on the next warp for 'perfection'.  It is a variation of the current warp, and I actually like it more so I'm going to try really hard to be 'perfect'.

Wish me luck?

2 comments:

amyfibre said...

Oooh! Can I put in an order for one of the asymmetrical white on white towels? I'd love to buy it. Thanks! Amy

Laura Fry said...

I will tuck one into your complementary copy of Stories. :) (Takes notes)