Friday, July 21, 2023

Folk Saying

 


field of flax (pretty picture for eye candy)

There is an old 'folk' saying (don't know which folk, just aware of the sentiment) to the effect that if you want to make god laugh, make plans.

Well, I'm a master at making god laugh because I always have 'plans'.

My life has been a constant struggle to deal with my plans going awry, sometimes through my own fault (foggy thinking leading to unrealistic expectations of ability to cope or complete); sometimes things happen.

The latest was an example of both.  I didn't think through how many padded envelopes I would need to mail those 50 (then 70) books, so was very late in the process ordering them.

And then Staples website ordering system glitched and my order got 'stuck'.  When the envelopes didn't arrive when they were supposed to, I stopped in at the local Staples store and asked if someone could check on the status of my order.

They couldn't get very far because it seemed to be something going on with the online ordering system and I was given the 800 number so I could talk to someone.

That person poked and finally dislodged the order from where ever it was stuck and suggested the order would be to me 'very soon'.

Very soon turned into 'soon' as the box finally arrived this morning while I was having coffee.

While I waited I fussed over the delay, but there wasn't much that could be done.  I had a few envelopes on hand so I used those to package up a few books and at least get those sent off.  (One arrived this morning, so the rest should start landing soon.)

Yesterday I pulled all the orders that consisted of multiple items (some people took the opportunity to order something else with Stories) and those are almost ready to go.  Just need to tape them and get them to the post office.  Friday is not perhaps the best day to go with a bin of parcels, but needs must.

Given the delay in getting the books into the mail, I extended the pre-pub offer to midnight last night and got a few more orders.  The 'late' orders will be processed once the others are done.  But I'll work on them all as quickly as I can.

After all of the orders and promotional copies are sent, two will be reserved for the National Library (to 'pay' for the ISBN) and the rest will be listed on my ko-fi shop.  If someone wants a signed copy, the only way to get one is to purchase it from me.  That means a higher cost because of the postage from me to them - cheaper to purchase from blurb.   (Just saying.)  All three of my books are available there, each of them available in print or pdf.

Weave a V by Kerstin Fröberg,which I organized to be published in English, here, is still available on my ko-fi shop.

Today I will also package up a copy to be sent to Handwoven in hopes of a book review.  For anyone interested in one person's opinion, Michelle Boyd (spinner and weaver) did one for Digits and Threads, an on-line publication.  The review is open access so anyone can read it.

Several people have let me know they are sharing the information for Stories with their guilds, and for that I give a heartfelt thanks.

For now, let me see if I can make god laugh.  Or at least chuckle.  I'm going to go finish getting the multiple orders ready to go to the post office and head to town.  And then tackle the rest.  I really, really want my work table back!

Wish me luck?



 

3 comments:

Mary said...

Review posted in several FB pages I edit.

Doreen MacL said...

Beautiful book and tea towel arrived in the mail today, thank you! I look forward to reading Stories From the Matrix and using the tea towel. I sent the review link out to my guild too. (But no tea towel for them. What a brilliant, generous idea!)

Laura Fry said...

Thanks Doreen. I appreciate your sharing. :)