Friday, April 28, 2023

Aging

 

Not whining about my body today, but my technology.

My iPad is about 4-5 years old and has been getting glitchy over the past month.  Not enough to worry about - at first.  But getting more noticeable.

So I did a quick search for how old it might be and what the expected lifetime is.

Turns out they last about 5 years and oops - mine is within the 5 year range of lifetime.  And I do use it, quite a lot as it happens.  I also have stuff filed on it I really don't want to lose - like every copy of Heddlecraft, and my Handwoven subscription.

Links to websites I consult frequently from the comfort of my chair in the living room, not haul my backside down the hall to the 'office' to use the desktop.

My leisure activities (games, I confess, I play games - like Scrabble) but also apps that help me with my weaving - iWeaveit, the camera I now use exclusively instead of my elderly digital camera which doesn't hold a candle to the newer digital cameras on my phone or iPad.

My music/playlist.  Over 300 songs.  We use that on road trips instead of watching tv.  Sometimes I need a bit of a lullaby at bedtime if the thought squirrels are too manic.

Email.  Mastodon.  (I still haven't figured out how to link the desktop to my Mastodon account.  Yes, I've left Twitter.  For reasons.)

And so on.

Just spent 5 minutes looking at new iPads.  Sigh.  What I would like I can't afford/justify.  I mean I could 'afford' it if I could justify it.  But I can't.  So one of the lower quality models will have to do.

A friend will help me transfer my files from the old to the new, then do a factory reset on the old one.  I may donate it to someone, with the warning that it's old and may not last long.  But I will wait and see what my friend says.  She may advise to just send it to electronic recycling.

I find myself as prepared as I can be for tomorrow and it looks like just one or two towels left on the loom to be woven.  So I'm going to go weave one and decide if I play yarn chicken for the last one or sacrifice what is left and start beaming the next warp.  I'm feeling like I really want to get ON with the next one.  And I've woven enough of that mid-value blue that what is left can go to a friend who makes bobbin lace.  I know I could keep it in my own bobbin lace stash, but I also know I can get some of that yarn back if I begin making lace again.  If I can't weave, maybe I can fwip (technical term) bobbins?

If I get my cataracts 'fixed' maybe I will be able to see better - enough that I can see the threads to make lace, anyway.  

So, on to the loom.  Be really nice to get this warp off the loom today, even if I do weave two and won't have time to begin beaming the next.  I can begin on Sunday.

No comments: