Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Queue

 It's said that the word 'queue' is just a q with a line of ue's after it.  



So here's the latest draft in the queue.  It's not 'done' yet.  I started with one of the other drafts and messed around with the elements in it and in 30 minutes arrived at this stage.

Now that I can see it the full width, I can see parts I don't like - like the transition from the waves into the selvedge 'border'.  I'll smooth that transition out.  I may also try fiddling with the treadling, although I'm not sure I can do much with that, that will actually appeal to me.  However, I may increase the repeats, which will enlarge the thickness of the wave line and make it more dramatic in a larger scale.  I didn't do it at the time because the timer on the stove went, telling me the soup needed attention and I haven't made it back to dealing with it since.

Instead I finished off the warp on the loom, beamed the next, then began threading it.  It's 1/3 done and should get finished today.  I also ran the 20 towels from the last warp through the washer/dryer, so they are ready to be pressed.  And then I'll have a stack of hemming to do.  Again.  :)  And I final pressed all of the hemmed towels so they are now on the shelf in the storage area.

Currently I have 3 warps designed, including the above which needs a final tweaking.  I'm hesitant about one of them because I'm not sure I'm going to like it.  So I'm trying to think of something else I can do with the simple point progression of the threading.  I have two options - abandon it or figure out a backup design that can be done on the same threading.

What I do not have is a void, an emptiness, about what to do next.

Each warp sparks ideas for another.  If the warp is long enough, I may come up with several 'new' ideas, or at least directions to explore.  I am seldom 'lost' about what to do 'next'.

All the written essays have been edited and corrected.  I am still considering writing a final essay on how I have developed this series, in case it is something people would be interested in.  I'm not sure it will be of much use, so I'm weighing the time/energy it will take to go through the iterations I've done - so far - and how many people might actually find it interesting.

So, what say you, dear reader?  Does following a (not quite) step by step development of this series appeal?  Or nah?

5 comments:

Nancy C said...

I enjoy hearing about the interative creative process that you're sharing! I am doing the same thing with a project on my drawloom, and hearing you think about the ins and outs of your choices helps me think similarly in my project! Thanks!

amyfibre said...

I'm definitely in the "yes" camp. I love any insight into the PROCESS that goes on in a creator's mind. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yes please! Very curious about your "process"

Anonymous said...

Laura, if I were a weaver, I would give you a loud, resounding 'yes' to learning about your process. Having little (read 'no') knowledge of weaving, I'm still very curious, I just wouldn't understand it. You often send me to the Internet to look up terms (although I don't always understand things even after looking them up - not enough basic knowledge there to know what's what). Still, it fascinates me, you write WELL, and I would imagine those who DO weave would be not only 'fascinated,' but would want to immerse themselves in the process of creating and designing. Write it, please?
StephanieW

Juli S said...

Learning about another artist's process is always interesting. Go for it!