Friday, April 21, 2023

Busy Times

 


Yesterday I met with my editor and the files are now in her hands.  We discussed what *I* thought needed to be done, but am willing to listen to suggestions.  Book design is not in my wheelhouse, after all.

She had some suggestions which I had not considered and she is now exploring options.

It is with a great sense of relief that I handed the project off to her because the next few weeks are 'busy' with one thing and another.  Deadlines that I ignored while I concentrated on the Next Big Project.  My inner demon(?) was so insistent I get the essays written and launched into the wild that there wasn't a lot of brain power left for anything else.

That doesn't mean time stopped still for me, though, and personal 'interesting' things happened which took what was left of my energy spoons.

After my editor left, I deleted all the original files, keeping only the most recent iteration, knowing that there will likely be more polishing to be done but a project that big gets confusing if you have too many versions in your document file.  (Ask me how I know????)  With two copies of the project on thumb drives I figured it was just organizational sense to literally clear the decks.

I also took all the printed out copies that I had done my edits on and tossed them into the paper recycle bin.  There is another stack of the various versions in my office bin.  I usually keep my rough drafts for 'scratch' paper for when I'm working out things I need to do by hand, not on the computer, but the heap of paper far outweighs my need for that kind of paper pile.  So that will go into paper recycle soon, too.  (Get a computer, they said.  It will save paper, they said...)

Now I have to get ready for the Beginning to Weave class beginning the end of this month.  Class handouts need to be printed out.  One more loom needs to be dressed.  After that, a two day 'class' for Beyond Beginning to Weave, tentatively scheduled for sometime in September needs to be put together.  I found the binder with all the samples and the drafts, so all that I need to do is generate the class handouts.  Something I can work on once the class in April/May is done.

There are other 'housekeeping' things that need to be dealt with in the studio and of course on-going steps in changing thread into cloth.  My inventory of finished tea towels grows, but next month is the Gourmet Fair and last year the guild sold quite a few of my tea towels, so I'm hoping the same happens this year.

I'm halfway through the current warp, but finding myself unable to get to the loom two sessions a day due to appointments and other personal things.  Today I don't have to leave the house so I'm going to work on several fronts, including getting the studio ready for the Zoom presentation to the Vancouver guild tomorrow morning.  For that, one of those 'housekeeping' tasks needs to be completed.  Which means I will only get one towel woven this morning.  But never mind, I am halfway way through and hopefully next week I will have some time to get serious about weaving.

After this warp is done I'm going to try that heart motif so I also have to finalize the draft for that.  I'm not happy with the spacing on the motifs and need to tweak the treadling some more.  Then do a backup in case I'm not at all happy with how it looks when woven.

My stash never seems to get smaller, but I know that it is.  I just have So Much stash and much of it fine threads.  And you get a lot of play time with fine threads!  :D

Spring has arrived and we are seeing the daylight hours lengthen, the trees are leafing out, the grass turning green.  The world turns, time flies.

No comments: