Monday, April 3, 2023

Binders

 


I got binders.  Six at the minute.  The one on the top contains the essays I wrote after sending the first 25 to my alpha reader and which I worked on while we were away.  I got those sent to the alpha reader yesterday after updating my Word files with the corrections I'd noted - and did some additional minor re-writes.  Perhaps I have less brain fog now the pain killer is working its way out of my system and I can think more clearly.  Frankly I'm pretty amazed at how few corrections have needed to be done - as was my alpha reader, I think!  :D

There are two essays that need some major tweaking and two more that may get mashed together, although they look at the same topic through different lenses.  And that's kind of the point of the essays.  To take a look at weaving through some of the different lenses.  TBD.

I got 'behind' on updating the edits because I was away, but I have printed out the edits yesterday and they are sitting on a pile on my desk, to be dealt with soon.  I'll begin today although I may not get all of them done.  I have a 'system' which is keeping me organized and on track.

I have also reached a crossroads regarding the towel series I've been working on.  I'm tired and running low on energy, unsure how much I can face challenges in designing new weaving drafts.  I could revisit some of the drafts I have done and adjust them into something different.  Since I only have 16 shafts available, my design options are limited (I know, I know, 16 should be plenty!)  But I can't get the kind of detail I'd like and I'm not sure enough that what I've done will weave up into anything but blobs.  However, if it doesn't look like anything I can dial back and do something a lot simpler.  So I will carry on with the one I have worked on and see how it looks woven up.  Sometimes things happen in the wet finishing and pleasant (or not-so-pleasant) surprises come out of the magic in the water.  

Speaking of which, I should remind folk of my books, available on the blurb website.

This is also where the essays will be available for sale, hopefully this summer.  It is said that a writer never actually finishes writing the book, they simply stop writing the book.  I may be approaching the 'stop' sign.

The plan is to publish the essays in two formats - digital and paperback.  I don't feel that the essays warrant hardback and since so many people are now preferring digital, we'll do that, just like we did for my first two books.  (I can't begin to explain how...odd...writing that previous sentence feels, given I never thought I would EVER write one book, let alone two.  Now...three...)

The sun is shining and I have things I'd like to accomplish today.  Editing is one of them.  But I think I'll begin by heading to the studio.  I cut the first 8 towels off the loom yesterday so that needs to be re-tied before I can begin weaving, and I think I need more bobbins.  So, some prep work needs to happen before I can begin tossing a shuttle.

Time for my happy place...


No comments: