Sunday, April 2, 2023

Back in the Saddle

 


cotton seine twine (upper) and 'ordinary' 2/8 cotton (lower) - the extra twist in the seine twine is quite obvious

We got home Friday late afternoon.  Mostly we vegged, then yesterday Doug started unpacking the bins and whatnot.  Given we will make the journey again in June he has been sorting through them, removing stuff we really don't need, replacing things that are aging out and so on.

My alpha reader has done the edits for all of the essays so far sent to her.  My goal over the next few days is to do the initial edits of the ones I've written since sending the first 25 so she can get started on those, and then update the files with the corrections that she has noted.

I'm still dealing with fatigue but overall, I'm off the heavy duty pain killers so am hoping that as the injection takes full effect I'll feel better for a while.

There are four in the beginning weaving class that begins the end of this month (three looms need to be dressed), I'm signed up for a spinning workshop (I need to get some practice spinning in!), plus the writing, AND I want to carry on with the stash reduction.  I'm going to document the development of the current series although I'm not sure how far I will push it.  There are limitations (because of course there are) and I may find myself uninterested in pushing the boundaries very much further.  However, there is still a heap of 2/20 mercerized cotton so I expect that I may just play with the technique without doing much more pushing and shoving on the boundaries of what actually 'works' and when it stops.

As for the essays, I think I've covered everything I really wanted to do.  I may add a couple more if something occurs to me.  Goodness knows, I have lots more 'stories' I could tell but otoh, do I want to in this format?  I think the ones I've shared are enough - illustrative of a particular concept within my life experience.

But I got two towels woven yesterday and hope to get two more done today, which means it will be time to cut off the web and re-tie for the next batch.  Better?  That white 2/20 is getting used up.

The next warp will be natural white and my focus will be on using up the smaller cones from Robin and Russ.  Finally getting to the point where there is too little to weave with?  Priceless.  Otoh, that yarn could be put into my bobbin lace 'stash' as my eyesight isn't all that great anymore and thicker yarns are easier to see.  Just saying.

As I finish up the essays, there will be more time to 'play' when I'm not weaving.  Ultimately I may come up with another technique that warrants a deep dive.  It was one of my stated goals when I 'retired'.  Who knows where the road will lead when you open yourself up to the possibilities?  

No comments: