Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Pivots

 


These are the latest towels off the loom and wet finished, now being hemmed.  I have enough I can offer them for sale on ko-fi, so they were posted.  I forgot to say how many were available, so I'll go back and edit the posting when I'm done here.

Today I had massage and chiropractor back-to-back.  I was later getting going than I wanted to be in part because I started doing my 'final' edit read through before handing the thumb drive with all the essays to my editor.

Sometimes I don't feel particularly like weaving after a 1-2 crunch, and so it was when I got home this afternoon.  I looked at what I'd accomplished this morning and how many more were left to do and wondered if I could finish them all off.  Most just required very simple 'fixes' and minor re-writes of a sentence to fix a pronoun or tense.

After my snack (I found a new cookie that might be ok with my allergies - we'll see?) I went back to the desktop and continued going through the essays, one after the other.

No effort has been made to sequence the essays, and frankly, alphabetical by essay title might be how they are sequenced, in the end.  Other than the Introduction, of course.  I'm still pondering if I write an epilog, or bibliography, or provide an index.  I still need to do an acknowledgement and dedication but that's not an essay and best done once I see the shape of it all.

It's almost stunning how something can be read several times, even with different pairs of eyes, and a typo will sit quietly waiting to be discovered. Or not.

But I can only do that kind of thing for so long and even though there are still 12 left to do, it's better I leave those for tomorrow.  I have dental hygiene tomorrow afternoon and I suspect weaving will be the last thing I want to do after that.  So I'll try to get one towel woven in the morning, then see if I can finish off the last dozen essays afterwards.

The files are being loaded on a thumb drive one by one so I can easily see what has been done and what needs to be done yet.  And they automagically go in alphabetical order so I don't even have to think about that part of it.

I find I am becoming tired of this project.  I've basically done what I can do and need to turn it over to someone else to fuss over.  OTOH, I have a class to prepare, and a workshop to pitch to the local guild.  And tea towels to weave.  Time to move on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you feel like doing it, an index would be wonderful. So many times I end up flipping through a book page by page, looking for a specific topic, and can't find it. Then again, if it's in electronic form, a quick search of the document would be all that was needed, no index necessary. Guess it all depends on what form of document a person has.
StephanieW

Laura Fry said...

I hear you on indexes. OTOH, I'm giving each essay a title to reflect the content. And an index is a lot of work - unless my editor says it can be done easily now. But again, that's best done once she has the files. I'll get a cost estimate.

The intention is both formats - pdf and paperback. Personally I still don't much like reading on a device so a book is always first choice for me. But I know others for whom it isn't. And the online publisher offers both, so it's not that big a deal to do it both ways.

So far alpha and beta readers are being encouraging. The essays are quite different from the 'usual'. Bottom line, it isn't geared for brand spanking new weavers and will likely only appeal to a small niche of what is a niche market to begin with. But something insisted I do it, so I did it. But now I'm ready to move on to other things. :)