Sunday, April 16, 2023

Time Flies

 


old photo showing the preparation of 'board worms'

I have been ignoring the passage of time and only realized in the wee dark hours of the night that the spinning workshop I signed up for is in exactly one week.  Oops.  Am I ready?  Hell no.  

Oh well, the workshop is how to be the boss of your wheel, so if nothing else I should come away with a better understanding of my e-spinner.

Will this realization spur me to finally spin in earnest?  Time will tell.

I also have a Zoom lecture on Saturday to present, plus work to do on the essays - clean them up for sequencing/formatting and just generally put lipstick on the pig.  Is it a good pig?  I think so.  But anything that someone tries to sell these days has to be 'attractive', too.  Doesn't matter how good the information may be, it can no longer pass muster if it looks like something produced in the 1950s on a spirit duplicator.

Initial reports from alpha readers are that these essays do need to be released into the 'wild'.  Even experienced weavers are saying that they are learning things.  

I suppose I have reached that stage of life when a person begins thinking about their 'legacy'.  I know I'm not the only person interested in the nuances of the craft and if I can shed some light, then my job here will be done?  

Of course I will continue to learn new stuff.  It's one of the reasons I chose weaving as my career.  I could see that I could weave for a lifetime and still be learning - and so it has been and will, no doubt, continue.

But the clock is ticking.  The pull to use up all my energy at the loom is strong.  But that is not the totality of life, of living, and I need to pull my boots up and deal with the other things on my list, not just throwing a shuttle.  

I take a lot of inspiration from poets/songwriters.  Bonnie Raitt, who sings about time being more precious the less of it you have.  Yup.  Indeed.

No comments: