Sunday, April 30, 2023

Hiatus

 




Today isn't the way I thought it would be - for a number of reasons.  Instead of doing what I thought I would be doing, I have been given a bit of a hiatus.  A bit of a pause from the planned activities.

OTOH, there are lots of things to *be* done.  I just need to load up on the caffeine in order to tackle any of them.

The homework for the Olds class has begun arriving.  The first box is wending its way back home while the next is open on my work table and I will begin looking at the written work today.  A good Sunday 'job'?

And one more will be coming in the next few days.  Seems the post office in their town couldn't find my post office box address.  You know, the one where I've been receiving mail for 50 plus years?  Yeah, that 'invalid' address.  Which makes my decision to stop renting the box all the more pertinent.

On Friday I cut the last warp off the loom, managed to beam and start threading the new one.  It's a very simple threading progression, for which I'm grateful.  I'm having too much brain fog to confidently tackle something more complex.  My goal for today is to finish threading, sley and tie on, as well as read the written work for the Olds class.  I'm going to the post office tomorrow to cancel my box and I'd like to take the marked homework with me to return to the weaver.  (The cancellation has been planned for months, not an annoyed decision made in haste.)  But that's putting a lot of pressure on me, and it can just as easily get mailed later in the week as I have other 'town' errands on other days.  Still, I'd like to get the marks back to the students asap as I know they are on tenterhooks.

This week is busy with a number of commitments, for both of us.  The next SOS Zoom lecture is Wednesday, this one on Twills.  I forget when the lace class launches, sometime in July I think.  The plan right now is to visit SOS the end of June and sign whatever copies of The Intentional Weaver they have in the store.  About the only way to get a signed copy right now.  :)  Unless you bring your copy with you if you should be passing through my town.  Both of my books are still available at Blurb, in both pdf and print copies.  But those aren't signed.

My editor has begun working on the ms for Stories from the Matrix.  I'm still hoping for July 9 launch.  I'm pondering a 'book launch' via Zoom.  I'm also pondering ordering in some copies of the new book to sell myself?  But do I want to drag a bunch of books to the post office to ship?  Cheaper for people to buy them from the website.  OTOH, I could buy a few, sign them and put them on ko-fi...  TBD.

This hiatus has taken some of the pressure off of me and allowed me to think about such things.  I'm not feeling too much deadline pressure.  The beginning to weave class started yesterday.  Three students, one taking the class as a refresher, the other two brand new.  All three are doing well.  Now I just have to make it through the next 3 weekends.

We are well into spring now.  In fact it got warm enough that the a/c will likely get turned on soon.  We needed it for the guild room which turns into an oven on sunny days.  And of course weaving *is* a physical activity so I put the a/c on in the afternoon to make the room more comfortable for all of us.

Friday I got 3 more library books, one of which is brand new (Dana Stabenow's latest) and needs to be read asap.  The other two don't, at the moment, have hold requests on them so I might be able to renew my loan if I don't get them all read.  But I like Stabenow and her writing tends to carry me along so that should go fairly quickly.  :)

The coming week will be 'busy' but not too pressured, once the Zoom presentation is done.  I'm hoping to make some progress on weaving the 'new' warp.  There are two more drafts designed for when this one comes off the loom and I'm eyeing that heap of mercerized cotton which is disappearing so slooooowly.  Lot of play time with fine yarns!  But I have condensed the pile several times now and it is melting away, little by little.

And now my standard 2nd cup of coffee is about gone.  Time to get dressed and head to the loom.  I hear the siren call of a warp wanting to be threaded!

No comments: