Friday, May 14, 2021

A Quiet Day

 


draft based on a design in Jane Evans' book A Joy Forever

Yesterday I reached the halfway point of the current beige warp around 4 pm.  I cut off the 8 towels then cut/serged them and popped them into the washer/dryer.  They are now ready for pressing, then hemming.

Today I have a major personal maintenance appointment at 1 pm.  My goal for today is press those damp towels this morning, then see how I feel when I get home.  I may at least re-tie the warp in preparation of weaving again.  Whether I weave will depend on how I'm feeling.

One thing about 'retirement' is that my goals are literally my own personal goals.  I have very few deadlines and most of them are related to my Zoom meetings.  As such I need to finish the next Power Point on colour, then start thinking about the next two, which will be deep dives into a) twill and b) lace weaves.  Something that will present a bit of a challenge on line.

The weather here continues...uncertain...so I haven't been walking much.  One forecast says possibility of scattered storms today.  I may decline to be productive this afternoon and brew a pot of tea and grab my library book.  Or I could do more spinning.  I have options!

The cotton flake is being used up more quickly than I had anticipated and I'm hoping to be done with it sooner, rather than later.  I'm ready for a change I think.  With that in mind, I will likely finish this series with two blue based warps since I have a bunch of cones of the 'baby mix' variegated to use up.  I won't come lose to getting it all used, but would like to see it go down some more.

I posted one of the towel designs to my ko-fi shop on Monday and my aim is to post another every Monday.  I'm trying to be organized about tracking what I post, how many towels of each design/colour so I can keep track.

With one thing and another, I am still dealing with The Tired (my Nurse Practitioner says that what I have is 'fatigue' although I've been fighting using that term.  To my mind 'fatigue' never ends, 'tired' can be cured.  OTOH, I've been dealing with The Tired for long enough now I have begun to accept that it is, indeed, fatigue, even if I don't have the level of brain fog I used to associate with 'fatigue'...)

These days I carefully dole out my spoonsful of energy.  When I run out I no longer beat myself up because I didn't get more done.  I'm retired.  Or I'm tired.  Either way, I have begun to give myself less grief when I run out.  We need to be kind to ourselves, not just to others...

1 comment:

lyna said...

We need to be kind to ourselves, not just to others..."
I try to not let myself say things to me that I wouldn't say to someone else.
Be kind to others, be kind to yourself!